Retractile cords, also known as retractile cable, are an essential component of day-to-day living. Though often overlooked, these cords enable us to interact with each other by transmitting information, as well as providing power or electricity to the various gadgets, machines, and appliances that we use daily.
What Are Retractile Cords?
Simply put, retractile cords are cords or cables that can extend and then go back to its original form with minimal stress put on the center wire. Usually spiral-shaped wire, these cords are made of either polypropylene (PP), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), or thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) to insulate the copper wire inside. They are commonly referred to as retractable cords, coil cords, or curly cords.
When extended, these retractable cords can easily triple its retracted wire length. This makes it easy for it to connect two power devices. USB chargers and life support machines are just two machines that make use of retractile cords.
The Benefits of Retractile Cords
Though there are already wireless options available, retractile cords are still indispensable. Unlike wireless power systems, retractile cords will not be affected by issues like inclement weather. These retractable cords are very useful for the following reasons:
- Space-saving. By the very nature of being retractable, these spiral-shaped cords take up less space. Though it could extend up to several feet, these cords can be easily stored when not in use. Unlike straight cords, the retractable ones cannot be caught and tangled together in their original or contracted form, or even when stretched between two or more power devices.
- Resilient. Most retractile cables and cords are designed to be resistant to wire tears, abrasions, water damage, oils, UV rays, ozone, gamma, and most chemicals.
- Reliable. Retractile cables are manufactured to endure heavy-duty use, especially since these kinds of coiled cables or retractable cords are mostly utilized by the medical, robotics, and communications industries, among others.
- Durable. Built to withstand repeated expanding and contracting, retractile coiled cables are, by nature, durable. In contrast to straight cable cords, the spirals in retractile cords doubly protect the copper wire inside. Additionally, since it coils around itself, not all of the cord is exposed, thus improving the cable wires’ lifespans.
- Flexible. These retractable cords can twist and turn to reach the devices that need to be connected to each other. Since they were made to be stretched out up to five times longer than its retracted size, flexibility and elasticity are built into each cord.
- Cost-efficient. Since a retractile cable can last longer than a regular, run-of-the-mill straight cable, you will not have to buy one over and over.
Applications of Custom Retractile Cords
Retractile cords can be applied to a wide range of industries and technologies. Also, retractile cords play a huge part in making sure that the day-to-day operations of the following industries go smoothly:
- Energy and Alternative Energy
- Food Processing
- Audio and Video
These industries heavily rely on retractile power cords, which are a necessity for devices like GPS units, heart defibrillators, tractor-trailers, USBs, and computers. Without working power cords, these gadgets and machines, and subsequently the industries that depend on them, will stop dead in their tracks. Though they are so common that they are passed over and ignored, retractile cables are highly significant to many industries in society today.
Get the Best Custom Retractile Cords on the Market Today
The importance of these kinds of cords in our daily lives cannot be overstated. That is why it is crucial that you use retractile cords that have been made with the utmost precision and care. Luckily, there are many companies, such as Autac, that you can trust to produce above-average power cords.
Having been in electrical business for more than seven decades, Autac is internationally recognized as a leading manufacturer of different kinds of retractable power cords. Our electrical cords come in many lengths, colors, gauge sizes, and even conductor counts. If you want fully customized retractable cords to suit your specific business needs, simply reach out to us and we will create retractable cords for you.
Autac: Providing Quality Coiled Cords for Every Industry
The coiled cord, also known as the recoil extension cord, retractile cord, or curly cord, is one of mankind’s greatest inventions. Its spring-like electrical shape allows it to extend further when in use and retract to take up less space when not in use. This flexible extension cord can be used for a variety of purposes. In fact, different fields like communications, electronics, robotics, medical, and more use the retractile cord for their machinery. The applications of the coiled cord are virtually limitless.
If you are looking for high-quality retractile power cords, turn to Autac. We manufacture and produce custom coiled cords to meet various applications and specifications. Do you require a cord that can match your industrial ice cream-making machines? We have it! Perhaps, you need retractable curly cords that will be a good fit for your telecommunication cable assembly? We can have them made! No matter the industry, our team can work with you to design a cord that meets your needs.
About Our Company – Retractile Cords
Robert N. Bunkle, our founder, strongly believes the philosophy “The customer comes first.” As such, he sought to create a company that values its customers and provides them with quality services and products. In 1947, he founded Autac and strived to implement this principle in his work. Thanks to his key value, the company flourished and prospered with retractable cords.
Nowadays, we are internationally recognized as the leading electronic manufacturer of first-rate retractile cords. To this day, the Burkle family continues to run Autac the way our founder had intended, by valuing customers and establishing a “team management approach” to customer service.
Our motto is “Service Through Inventory.” We demonstrate this through our extensive on-hand electronic inventory of finished coiled cables and straight bulk cables. Since we have numerous coiled cords in stock, we can provide our customers with short lead times and a quick turnaround. When you urgently need a retractile cord, we can deliver your order within a day.
Our Retractile Cords Products
With more than 400 part numbers in stock, Autac boasts the world’s largest inventory of quality power retractile cords. Our company produces coiled cords that come in a wide variety of electronic gauge sizes, number of conductors, lengths, and colors. You may choose a retractile cord from our inventory or reach out to us to have a custom cord that meets your requirements and specifications. Here is a list of our products:
- Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) Power Cords
- PVC Power Cords
- PVC or Auta-Prene ® Communications and Electronic Control Cords
- PVC or Auta-Prene ® Shielded Cords
- Auta-Prene ® Test Leads
- PVC Shielded Cords
- PVC Miniature Cords
- PVC Miniature Cords With Foil Shield
- Thermoplastic Rubber (TPR) Power Cords
Most stock items are available in four retracted lengths: 12”, 24”, 36”, and 48”. Each one is manufactured to meet UL/CSA specifications. Our conductors include soft tinned copper and soft bare copper. You have the option to choose between unshielded or power shielded cords. We also provide various insulation and jacketing materials, such as PVC, TPE, Polypropylene, Polyurethane, and Neoprene. Additionally, we offer ROJ jackets and strip conductors.
Order You Retractile Cords Today!
When you need a custom recoil extension cord, get in touch with the professionals at Autac. Our team will work with you to create a coiled cord that meets your business needs. If your case is more urgent, you may also choose from our vast selection of retractable curly cords in stock. We can give you speedy access to the stock items listed above. Learn more about our products by visiting our website.
Are you working on a project that may need a retractile cord? Reach out to us today. We distribute retractable power cords in the United States, Canada, and other countries. Most orders can be shipped within one day. You may contact us through our phone number 203-481-3444 or our email email@example.com.